- Ensure your boiler and gas appliances are installed correctly and serviced annually by a Registered Gas Installer.
- Choose room-sealed appliances for your home. With room-sealed appliances, fresh air for the combustion process comes from outside of the building and emissions are then discharged outside.
- Ensure the rooms in your home containing heating appliances are properly ventilated – never block vents.
- Make sure all chimneys and flues are regularly swept and kept clear.
- If you are concerned that an appliance is not operating safely, arrange for an appliance safety inspection by contacting your gas supplier or a Registered Gas Installer.
- For appliances that burn other fuels such as oil or solid fuel, ensure that they are installed and serviced regularly by a qualified service agent for your fuel type.
- Use fuel-burning appliances correctly and for the purposes they were intended. For example, never use a cooker to heat a room, never use a gas grill with the door closed and never use appliances inside that are intended for outside use (e.g. barbecues).
For more information, visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie