Gas safety in your business
This section is designed to provide you with the information you need to use gas safely in your business.
What to do if you smell gas
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- Don’t smoke, vape or use a naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Open windows and doors
- If the smell persists turn off the gas at the meter, see our guide here
- Call our 24 hour Emergency Line on 1800 20 50 50 no matter who your gas supplier is.
- If you can’t get through, dial 999 / 112
- Don’t use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour’s or call from outside.
In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded.
If you experience any difficulty getting through to our 1800 numbers please use the following numbers:
If you smell gas call: 01 920 5050
For Customer Care call: 066 971 4088
Inform your staff
For safety reasons, it’s a good idea to inform staff where the gas meter and any gas appliances are located in the workplace.
Download our safety guides
There have been a number of incidents where wheelie bins have been maliciously set on fire and have subsequently damaged the gas meter installations.Learn more